PASTORAL STATISTICS – Heartbreaking reality!
Researched by Gerry Couchman
Only 1/10 pastors make it through ministry!
- 95% of pastors do not pray regularly with their wives
- 70% of pastors feel grossly under paid
- 85% of pastors said their greatest problem is dealing with problem people
- Disgruntled elders, elders, worship leaders & teams, board members, & associate pastors
- This tragedy lies upon the doorstep of Boards/ Elders/ Deacons/ Society Stewards :
- Only 1 out of 10 individuals, who start in ministry, will finish their careers in ministry! Why?
- 50% of pastors will get divorced
- 70% of pastors say they do not have a close friend!
- 80% of pastors and 84% of their spouses live in a relentless state of discouragement
- 33% of pastors say that being in ministry is a hazard to their family
- 40% report having a serious conflict with someone in their church at least once per month!
- 40% report considering leaving their pastorates in the last 3 months!
- 70% of pastors fight depression continuously!
- 40% of pastors have had an affair while in ministry!
- 80% of pastors’ kids suffer from depression.
- 50% of pastors are so discouraged that they would leave the ministry if they could, but have no other way of making a living!
- 80% of seminary and Bible school graduates who enter the ministry will leave within the first 5 years
- 70% of pastors said that the only time they spent studying the Bible was when they are preparing their sermons.
- 50% of pastors say that the most destructive thing that occurred in their marriages – the day they entered ministry!
All this is happening on our watch!!! This is not God honoring, or what God intended!
- Pastors perform the most important work on planet earth!
- What are WE going to do to change these horrific stats, and protect them and their families?
- Care of the pastor and his/her family, is the most important portfolio in your church!
- “Without a shepherd the flock is soon scattered!”
I am planning to create a resource for every church with some insight and information about how they can walk alongside the pastor so these statistics are dramatically turned around.
If you have any ideas and comments you would like to share with me then please email me directly on Gerry@willowcreeksa.co.za